Saturday, October 9, 2010

Featured Artist: GypsyMoonArt

The gaze of a cat's eye ring brought me to Shannon's shop, where I was immediately drawn to the symbology and references of her pieces.
There are the stunning eye rings, the polished stones and beads dangling among antiqued silver and copper.


If your tastes are refined and dark, with a smattering of pagan mythology thrown in, you may want to take a peek!


The Eyes Have It custom ring
"inspired by fantasy, fairy tales, and legends"

 "I am a wife and work-at-home mom, and I live in Michigan in a 108 year old farmhouse that we are slowly bringing back to life.
I have always been an artist, and began drawing and painting when I was very young. I once was a muralist and trompe l'oeil painter and still love to paint. I am very inspired by fantasy, fairy tales, and legends. I love science, history, nature, Celtic Folk music, and I love to go to thrift stores. I am also learning the art of home-brewing beer."


Your craft & ideas

"I have an ocean of creative ideas in my head...I am merely trying to stay afloat"

"I taught myself wire-wrapping, and am now obsessed with it. I sketch some of my ideas and will often stop whatever it is I am doing and find my sketchpad to jot down an idea. But oftentimes things just seem to flow from me and the wire almost seems to work itself into shape. I have only been making jewelry for a few years, and at first I made what I thought other people would like. It wasn't until I made what I liked that my jewelry started to get better."

Do you offer customers anything besides a product?
"Services, a good cause, years of crafting experience, special expertise, etc... I offer great customer service. I treat my customers the way I would like to be treated. I always package my items ready for gift-giving wrapped in tissue in a beautiful little black organza bag. I am very quick to answer questions and have excellent communication with my customers."

How have you grown as a seller/what tips have you learned? 

"I am not afraid to be who I really am"

"As an artist, I have learned to create what is in my heart. I do not create something only because it is trendy right now. I have somewhat of a wild darkness to a lot of my work and tried for a long time to subdue that. I now embrace that and have found that that is what sets me apart. People like it. I am not afraid to be who I really am."
"As a seller, I have learned to offer excellent service, and to not get too upset when the sales are slow. Selling has it's ups and downs. Keep trudging along and keep creating new things. I do not use Etsy as my only selling tool. I participate in local art shows and have jewelry in shops. If I have a slow month on Etsy, then I can rely on an art show to help things along. Also, taking great pictures is a must. Online sellers MUST be part photographer."

Any plans for the coming year?
"I am planning on participating in more art shows next summer (I am weeding out ones that are not so successful). I would like to do some home trunk shows and have got those wheels in motion. And my husband and I (he is a welder and metal artist) have some ideas for a collaboration that are just in the beginning phases. I am looking forward to moving onward and upward!"


Etsy
gypsymoonart

No comments:

Also of interest...

>>>