Saturday, July 25, 2009

Featured Artist: MyriadDesign


About MyriadDesign

"I'm an artist, designer and a mom. I have a BFA in photography which led to a career in computer graphics for movies, when I had kids I wanted to be home with them. Sitting behind a computer for several hours a day for several years left me with a need to make things with my hands and be physical, hence ceramics. Now I have a wheel in my backyard and 200 lbs of clay in the garage, and I sit behind the computer several hours a week to market and sell my wares! But I get to do it at home."


Explain your craft & where you get ideas

"My work is influenced by my other disciplines and interests for sure. I meditate, do yoga, and reiki and when I make a piece I want it to flow through me like a dance. I know if I'm sitting too long with a piece I'm overworking it and have lost that flow of creative energy. My job is to be the conduit for the work to come into being. I feel very passionate about creating in this way."


Do you offer customers anything besides a product?

"Very personalized service, convo me and I will work to fulfill your request! I want you to LOVE your purchase and your experience shopping with me. In addition, I offer you my experience as a designer. I went to Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, which is heavily weighted toward design. Working with product designers and advertisers definitely influenced my work in ceramics, I'm always thinking of the functionality of a piece, developing a line of products and creating a cohesive body of work. I love to use a handmade piece and own several items from other artisans. I have a favorite little cup from my teacher that I love to drink wine from, I'm always discovering and rediscovering its special little quirks. I want to create pieces that you will love to use for special things."


How have you grown as a seller?

"My shop sat unnoticed for about 1 year, I was bummed. I started reading about how to make a successful shop, purchased some guidebooks from www.thebuzz.etsy.com and got involved in the forums. There are tons of good tips and slowly but surely my shop is getting visited and I'm making more and more sales. Best tip: Post often. Do I? Well sometimes."

Your plans for this year?


"Porcelain. I used to throw lots of porcelain and had a good rapport with it, it is time to get reacquainted with it. I'd like to make some cups and glasses with it but we'll see what comes up!"


Etsy
Buy Handmade
MyriadDesign


No comments:

Also of interest...

>>>